Welcome to my blog! I have been blogging for years, and I find it is fun. However, please forgive me if there is anything which has been offended you. Anyway, I wish you will like my blog and keep following it! Cheers!

Monday, December 6, 2010

My Life as a TB Patient - Part 1

Year 2009 was a bad year for me. My life has some changes since then. I was diagnosed with the Pulmonary Tuberculosis (TB) in May 2009 due to I was having bad cough for months and I also didn’t know how did I get such illness until todate. After a year plus treatment, I am just recovered from such illness. So, I would like to share with you my life as a TB patient with you all. For your information, pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) is a contagious bacterial infection that mainly involves the lungs, but may spread to other organs.

In the beginning year of 2009, I was started having cough on and off, sometimes was having phlegm too. I thought I was just having the normal flu and seek for the normal treatment, i.e. taking the cough syrup from the normal GP. Since then, I was started to feel tired easily and always fall sick, having fever. At night time, I was having heavy sweat while I was sleeping as I thought the weather was hot and caused me to sweat a lot. I was also having wheezing too. I was also losing weight at that time. Moreover I was also feeling tired easily at that time. I really did not know that those were the symptoms of the TB sickness. When I was having that night sweating, tired easily and fall sick easily, I was thinking that I was having stress from my work. I really did not have the thought of that I would diagnose the contagious disease.

Anyway, after coughing of few months, my mother took me for the chest X-ray and the sputum examination. OMG, when the results out, doctor said that I was having TB. So I went to the private hospital to seek for the treatment of TB.After seeking the treatment, then only I know that night sweating, wheezing are the symptoms of the TB. Thus, now I would like to provide some information of TB to you here.

Symptoms of TB

• Cough (sometimes producing phlegm)
• Coughing up blood
• Excessive sweating, especially at night
• Fatigue
• Fever
• Unintentional weight loss
• Breathing difficulty
• Chest pain
• Wheezing

Exams and Tests for TB

• Clubbing of the fingers or toes (in people with advanced disease)
• Enlarged or tender lymph nodes in the neck or other areas
• Fluid around a lung
• Unusual breath sounds (crackles)
• Biopsy of the affected tissue (rare)
• Bronchoscopy
• Chest CT scan
  Chest x-ray
• Interferon-gamma blood test such as the QFT-Gold test to test for TB infection
• Sputum examination and cultures
• Thoracentesis
• Tuberculin skin test

After I found out that had diagnosed the TB, I started my TB medical treatment and having self quarantined at home as instructed by the doctor. I will blog about my treatment and self quarantine life in my next blog. Hope that you will follow then.

1 comment:

  1. Just something extra, according to a research conducted by Penang GH, the majority of TB patients reportedly only have cough without any other symptoms.

    Anyway, everyone needs to know the important rule.
    If you are coughing for more than two weeks, think TB unless proven otherwise.

    This rule has stucked on my mind since I was a kid after reading a TB brochure taken from a government clinic.

    ReplyDelete