Welcome to my blog! I have been blogging for years, and I find it is fun. However, please forgive me if there is anything which has been offended you. Anyway, I wish you will like my blog and keep following it! Cheers!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

It's a Long Weekend Holidays! Happy Deepavali!

Tomorrow, 5/11/2010, is the public holiday of Malaysia. It is Deepavali and it falls on Friday, so we are having a long weekend for the holidays! :)

Deepavali or Diwali or Divali is popularly known as the Festival of Lights. It is an important five-day celebration of festival for Hinduism.  For Hindus, Diwali is the most important festival of the year and is celebrated with families performing traditional activities together in their homes.

The name Diwali is itself a contraction of the word "Deepavali" (Sanskrit: दीपावली Dīpāvali), which translates into row of lamps. Diwali involves the lighting of small clay lamps (divas) (or Deep in Sanskrit: दीप) filled with oil to signify the triumph of good over evil. During Diwali celebrants wear new clothes and share sweets and snacks with family members and friends. Some Indian business communities begin the financial year on the first day of Diwali, hoping for prosperity the following year. Thus, Deepavali is the celebration of the victory of good over evil, the uplifting of spiritual darkness.

I am wishing all my Hindu friends to have a happy and merry Deepavali and Happy Festival of Lights!!! As for those who are not celebrating this festival, I am wishing you to have an enjoyable and happy long weekend holidays!!!

Rangoli, decorations made from colored powder, is popular for Deepavali


An oil lamp placed on the Rangoli during Deepavali


Happy Deepavali, Happy Festival of Lights

No comments:

Post a Comment